Thursday, January 25, 2007

How Fortunate We Are

It's about time I write an entry to the blog! I am restricted from sitting up too long - so my computer time is pretty limited. Also, I am only allowed to go up and down the stairs once a day - and this computer is upstairs - so once I go downstairs for breakfast, I'm out of luck until bedtime. Matt took my archaic laptop into the shop to get updated, so hopefully by next week I can reply to all the wonderful emails you've all sent.

It's good to be home. My parents are here waiting on me hand and foot, making all my favorite foods, and generally doing that parental-comfort thing that only your own parents can do. (I'm taking notes for Bea.)

As we start to immerse ourselves back into home life, one thing almost everyone says to us is, "I can't imagine how you're feeling right now." Well, actually, whatever emotion you can dream up, we've probably felt it twice today. The bad ones - anger, grief, sadness, loneliness, fear, guilt, etc. - are still regular visitors. They probably will be around for awhile, and that's ok. They have their merits.

However, the thing that has surprised me most is how overwhelmingly fortunate and blessed we feel. We are thankful for so many things - here are just a few:

- All of you who have sent us emails, posts, or prayers
- Our families who are bending over backwards to help us
- The excellent medical care and kindness we received in Cincinnati, Minnesota, and from others throughout the country (and the fact that we live in a time when such care is possible)
- The fact that we have insurance that enables us to afford such care
- The timing of our care and surgery, which saved Bea
- Elsa's impeccable timing!
- The spiritual signs that have given us great comfort
- Bullet, who often lightens the mood with a wag and a lick

And, of course, we cherish the experience of being parents to Bea and Elsa.
- Bea, our little fighter, and her constant encouragement kicks!
- The fact that Elsa existed at all, taught us so many things, and left us so gracefully.

OK, I have waaaaay overdone my "sitting up" time allotment -- so I have to go! Thanks for the support that you have each given us in your own way.

Love,
Melissa
p.s. Don't be afraid to call me - I can talk on the phone lying down! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about your Dad Melissa, the big strong guy he is and knowing how much this took out of him made me rethink how important a little unknown life inside our daughters effects us as parents. This brought up conversations in my family that I know brings us closer together.We are expecting a new baby in Aug. and I pray every day that God protect (Her)on her journey to us! Bless you and your new family.
I'll keep praying. God Bless
Greta (Mall person)

Tim & Judy said...

Hi Melissa and Matt:

We were so sorry to here what has happened.

We fell the same way as you (sad & happy). Our prays are with you nd will always be.

We read the updates every day and thank-you for them. we sit and wounder what we would do if it was us.

OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.

Judy & Tim

Anonymous said...

We are so glad (Brian and Denise) to know you are home and resting. I know that your mom and dad will take very good care of you and Bea. The time will go by faster than you think and you will have a beautiful baby in your arms. Say hello to mom and dad for us. We are all so very proud of you. You could not have done more than you have done in the past few weeks. We are always looking at the blog and it makes us happy to see all is going well.