Saturday, February 10, 2007

Water Rupture - Melissa's in the Hospital

We can't seem to catch a break. Melissa has been having very small leakage the past week but the doctor on Wednesday wasn't worried about it. She had a much large leakage this morning. We debated whether to go in and decided to call it in. It wasn't a real large leakage and they had a hard time initially verifying her water broke, but it did.

Thankfully Bea had abnormally high fluid and with the fluid loss she's still in the normal category. She checked out just fine today and wasn't in distress. They were able to get Melissa's contractions in control with medicine and immediately gave Melissa a steroid shot to quickly help Bea develop her lungs for delivery. Melissa will get another steroid shot tomorrow and they will continue with the contraction control medicine until the steroid medicine is fully digested on Monday. They'll pull her off the contraction medicine at that time because the medicine helps mask fever/infection signs.

Approximately 1/3 of people in Melissa's situations deliver in the first 72 hours. The first 72 hours are really critical for the steroid medicine to work in case we need to deliver and to get everthing back in control.

For the other 2/3 of people they won't deliver until one of three things occur. 1) Melissa shows signs of infection/fever (due to the ruptured sac, etc.), 2) Bea exhibits stress such as if the fluid becomes too low or she is getting stressed from her new environment 3) Melissa progresses into labor.

Melissa will be at Abbott in Minneapolis until Bea arrives. Right now it appears she will not have internet access so she can't communicate via the blog/email until we work something out like me printing emails and communicating for her. For right now we'll just be communicating via the blog.

Matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Missy,

Dad is writting this for me, my paws are too big for the keyboard.

Just to let you know that I am staying very busy while you are gone. First of all, I am protecting the house - NO Fed EX guy is getting close to the house without me knowing about it. I am also keeping track of all the shoes (everytime someone comes home, I grab one). I have the shoes scattered all over the house, in my small effort to keep people from leaving the house and for my personal sense of security.

I also keep studing Bea's room to see how the furniture will fit. (I have no idea what furniture is, but you keep talking about it, so it must be important).

Also it is nice to have all these people come, just to visit me -Mom and Dad Rach and Mart.

I will have to get back to work now, I can't wait to have you and Bea come home.

I'm not sure who Bea is, but I know I will love, protect and be loyal to her just as I have been to you over the years.

Love, Bullet

PS: I have reclaimed the couch in the living room, the best place to watch everything as you know.