Saturday, March 24, 2007

Saturday March 24

Melissa's been in the hospital six weeks now. It's pretty amazing how long she and Bea have made it. While this week has been tough for everyone I think they're holding up better than I am as I came down with a decent cold and went in to the doctor yesterday to get some medication to get through is quickly so I can get back to the hospital to see Melissa and be ready for anything that might happen.

Today I put together a new crib and changing table with Melissa's parents. We rearranged furniture in three rooms to make room for Bea. It was really nice to focus on something proactive and positive for much of the day instead of wondering about the hospital and the associated worries. Pictures were brought to Melissa so she could see what it looked like. We actually rearranged furniture for a while and called Melissa to talk about stuff. Sure enough while on the phone in her hospital bed she made us rearrange nearly every piece of furniture we had already moved. What will surprise me is if she doesn't rearrange things again when she comes home.

Which is a perfect transition for Tubby Smith. Can you believe it? The Gophers hired Tubby Smith from Kentucky as their new basketball coach. I don't think it's truely set in yet. After confirming the reports of his hiring on many different internet sources, I immediately called Melissa to tell her any thought of giving up our season tickets was instantly diminished. They might as well start building the new trophy case for the Big 10 trophy. I've been extremely upset that our athletic director sat back and watched the basketball program fall to the lowest point in many decades without doing something about it. From the mid 80's to the late 90's basketball games at Williams arena were easily the best ticket in town whenever someone half way competitive was playing us. I can't wait for things to return to those days.

No comments: