Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Roller Coaster/Bea Likes Her Feet

Hello, it's Melissa (and Mom) from the heart hospital again. (They are really going to think I am a patient here, they see me so much.)

Bea is still hangin' out in the belly. We've had quite a crazy few days. It seems like my body wants to "cry wolf" every chance it gets. First, as Matt said in his earlier blog my bloodwork came back slightly elevated on Monday... but the doctors eventually concluded it was fine. Then the next day, Bea didn't have a good heart monitor. As a result, she got extra biophysical tests and instead of her regular perfect score, she only got a 6 out of 10 (because ALL of the fluid is gone). So, we thought maybe then. But, no. She's done great on all of her tests since then. Last night, my temperature went from 96 to 99 in a few hours... possibly an infection??? Nope. An hour later, I was back to 97. We're all getting a little bit tired of this "is it/isn't it" game. But in the end it's worth it if she gets to stay inside a little bit longer.

One of the things that really helps the stress levels (for me) is the integrated health staff here at the hospital. These lovely folks come in, give me massages, and do a myriad of other things to help bring stress and pain levels down. One of the things they've been doing with me lately is called "healing touch." It looks a little funny, and it really has nothing to do with "touching." Basically, the woman waves her hands above my body to work with my "energy field." At first I was a bit skeptical about the whole thing. However, the other day, when my belly was sore, she came in and worked on getting the "bad energy" out of my belly. Well, wherever she waved her hands above my belly the baby would kick at her hands. It was amazing! It continued for a good half hour. The healing touch practitioner never touched me but Bea knew right where she was. At the end, the woman told me that Bea was helping her kick the bad energy out, AND Bea wanted me to know that she really likes her own feet. hahaha! The practitioner said that when Bea is born she wants people to hold/rub her feet to relax her. That would make her just like her Mom and Grandma Rach who both like to have their feet rubbed. We'll have to see if it really works when Bea is born. I think it will!

Well, that's all for now. Thanks for all of the messages and emails. I wish that I could respond to the emails you are sending, but the computers here in the heart hospital do not allow me to go to Yahoo!. Matt prints off everything that you send to me -- so I do get it and appreaciate it.

See you soon (at least via the blog).
M.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian and I are so happy that little Bea wants to stay put. Everyday that you have Bea kicking around is a great day. One day real soon you will have her in your arms and can rub and play with her feet. I think she is telling you that she really likes it where she is and she is not yet ready to come into the world. She will soon get real close to Matts perdicted date! April is right around the corner and that means a diamond for you! (RIGHT) I never got a diamond for Kim when she was born. I guess we were to poor then! Love Always, Denise and Brian

hales02 said...

Matt, Melissa and Bea -
Hang in there! You guys are all so strong, and we are all routing for you. I miss you, Melissa and think of you often! Can't wait to meet Bea (well, I can definitely wait until she finishes baking!) And, I love the experience you had with healing touch - very interesting. Best wishes!