Saturday, March 31, 2007

Matt's Out of the Pool?

Today is the date I picked for our baby birth date pool. Based on the morning monitoring, it looks like I'm going the way of a #16 seed. The doctors have indicated that it's obvious Bea is a not a morning person, so they're not going to be worried if she doesn't have any heart accelerations in the morning. Apparently that doesn't make life any easier for Mom who right now likes a good acceleration as much as an M & M blizzard.

Today is also Bullet's birthday. Nine big ones. He's been on cancer remission for two years. We had two separate surgeries to remove cancerous growths from him two years ago and are very happy he's still running around, though quite a bit slower. Last year he needed knee surgery. I wonder what 2007 will bring for our expensive dog. Melissa enjoys seeing pictures and stories about Bullet's daily antics as much as anything. The happiness he brings her (and me) is worth every penny we've spent on him.

I've jokingly mentioned in the past that if Bea makes it past 12:00 midnight tonight she'll be our little (birth stone) diamond. In my dorky geotechnical thought process, I realized that a diamond is almost a miracle of nature. It takes the perfect chemical composition, pressure and temperature to make a diamond, much like our little Bea. After everything Melissa has been through, I wonder how big of a birth stone I need to get her. Pam, no need to reply. I fully understand your viewpoint on the subject.

I have to admit after I made my original post, I realized I was always confused on whether midnight is either 12:00 am or 12:00 pm. Well apparently it's neither. A.M. stands for ante meridian (kind of like the ante partum unit Melissa's in) and P.M. stands for post meridian. Thus PM is when the sun has passed over the prime meridian. At noon the sun is directly over the prime meridian, so it's neither east or west. You could interpret that 12 pm is the 12 o'clock after the sun has passed over the prime meridian, which would make it 12 midnight, which would immediately be followed by 12:01 am. Thus to be correct 12 am and 12 pm should be avoided. 12 noon/noon or 12 midnight/midnight should be used instead.

No comments: