Friday, March 2, 2007

Our premie can beat your premie...

I hope I'm not one of those parents who pushes their kids in everything, is always bragging about them, and yells at coaches for not giving them playing time, except when it really matters like now. Yesterday Bea got a 10 out of 10 on her biometrics test. They scored her an 8 out of 8 but the nurse practitioner said if you counted in some heart monitoring she would get a 10 out of 10. Once again I'm not going to dispute the claim.

I wasn't there for the biometric test but apparently they look at things such as extent of movement, including moving the leg back into place after a kick, amount of movement, heart accelerations, heart rebound & consistency, fluid level and possibly some other stuff. We're becoming very knowledgeable on the heart accelerations. You want the baby to have short, but not too short, accelerations where they're getting the heart rate up for a while like a good workout and are able to recover quickly. It's good for the cardiovascular system. It's also good for Mom and Dad's cardiovascular system. When she pinches her umbilical cord you also want her to get off it quickly and get her heart rate back up.

Let's just say I'll be more than happy to trade some good test scores now for some meaningless test scores in middle school or high school, or performance in some extracurricular activities. Of course I'll need to delete this post some day so Bea won't actually use it against me.

Things are going well enough I felt comfortable staying home last night to help take care of snow removal and some other things. So I'll need to work even harder at good meaningful conversation with Melissa the next few days. I've recently been (re-)informed that nodding my head, "yep", and staring at the newspaper without eye contact don't count.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to come home from a very long day at the hospital with Brian and read something very wonderful about Bea. We were up at 4:30 and off to the hospital. Everything went very well but I came home early 1. because of the weather and 2. he was much to bitchy! MEN!!Can't take a little pain. It is hard being here even one night along for we have taken each other for granted much to often. When you are with someone for 40 years you forget that one day they might not be around even though somedays you would wish they weren't in your face! It does restore the love we have for one another and appreciation. I am now feeling much better after reading the blog. I pray everday that all goes great and oneday I can hear all the bragging from you and Matt and for sure from Mom and Dad! Can't wait for that day to compare grandchildren. What fun that will be. Love you lots, Denise