Sunday, December 28, 2008

Merry Christmas and Snow Fun


One of my favorite pictures of all time: Bea and Bullet on Christmas morning. It should have been our Christmas card picture... oh well...

The prep for Christmas this year was extremely hectic. I usually have all my Christmas presents purchased by Thanksgiving and the cards sent out by the 10th... not this year. With all the craziness of November and December, things got even crazier by Christmas.

As a person who makes her living in online consulting, it made sense that I did a lot of Christmas prep online -- but it seemed everything I did online got majorly screwed up!! I spent two hours making our Christmas cards online, but the company called the next day and said the pictures wouldn't work; so I wound up buying store cards. I ordered Bea's big present (a kitchen set) online, but the shipping got delayed and it still isn't here. I tried to make calendars online for the grandparents... but of course, they got botched. So, anyway, I learned my lesson. Yes, I will still shop online, but I will shop earlier next year.

When Christmas actually came, however, things went smoothly and we had a lot of fun.

We spent Christmas Eve at our house with my parents. They gave Bea a rocking horse (see below). She likes the horse, but she's still a bit affraid of it -- especially because if you squeeze its ears it whinnys and moves its nose and tail. I think she'll really love it in about a week!



We spent Christmas Day with Matt's family at Karyn and Jorge's house. We were especially happy that Matt's grandma, Hazel, was well enough to join us. Below is a picture of Grandma Pat reading to Bea and her cousin, Sadie.



And, here are Bea and Sadie giggling together in a rocking chair...

The day after Christmas, Matt helped his mom move Grandma Hazel to a new place. Since it was pretty warm that day, Bea, Bullet, and I took the opportunity to have some winter fun with my parents.

First, we had our picture taken with the Santa, Rudolph, and sleigh display in front of my parents' house. My parents made these decorations when I was little and have pictures of me with them every year, so this is an important Christmas tradition. Santa's list (which one of the elves is holding) has always had the names of my cousins and childhood friends on it. This year, it got ammended to include Bea, Sadie, Gwen, and others. Here we are with Grandma Liz. I like that Bea isn't even as tall as an elf.


After getting our picture taken, it was time to try out Grandma and Grandpa's backyard sledding hill. While I was making the sledding course (going down the hill enough times to make it a smooth ride while unintentionally getting tons of snow in my pants), Bea got to go on the swing (aka the "weeeeeeee"). Bea loves the weeee, but of course, she has not been able to go on it much when it is 40 below. She always sees it from the window and begs to go on it. So, she was thrilled.

Finally, when the sledding run was ready, it was time for Bea to have her first sled ride. First we tried Bea going down by herself, but she wasn't heavy enough to go very far and she had to lay down. So, after awhile, Bea and I went together. With the two of us on the sled, we probably went a good 40 feet down the hill (with Bullet running along side) -- see picture below (if you click on the picture, you can see my Dad is holding Bullet until we go). Bea loved it and kept saying, "AGAIN!" Eventually, Mommy, Grandpa, and Grandma got tired of going up and down the hill and we made a snowman instead. The snowman lasted about two hours before it melted. Oh well, fun was had by all!

In the end, our holiday was sure great. We hope yours was just as happy.
- M

No comments: